Evidence that Fines Victoria is not issuing notices to Victorians who have been fined by Courts or incurred infringements is a stuff up of the highest order that warrants answers and urgent solutions from the Andrews Labor Government.
Thousands of Victorians have been adversely affected by the botched handling of the project to consolidate fines and infringements into a new agency, Fines Victoria.
This includes people who have received traffic infringements entailing demerits points or worse, the suspension or cancellation of a licence when they have duly notified authorities that they were not the driver at the time of the offence.
The fiasco also affects people fined by courts who have not received any notification from Fines Victoria leaving them in a grey zone where they are bound by an existing court order but unsure of their position in the absence of any recovery notice.
It is unacceptable that the Government’s fines recovery system is not working and Daniel Andrews and his Attorney General, Martin Pakula, must now front up and answer critical questions:
- How long will it take for this crisis to be fixed, bearing in mind that the project was supposed to be up and running on 1 January 2018?
- How many people are in breach of court orders as a result of Fines Victoria not issuing notices?
- How many drivers have lost their licence or had it suspended unnecessarily as a result of Fines Victoria not processing notices?
- Will Victorian taxpayers now be liable for any compensation to people adversely affected by the Government’s botched handling of this project?
- What is the total cost of all financial blowouts on this project and is it true that Civica has requested further funding?
- What is the total blowout on staffing numbers for this project and is it true that the Department has been forced to employ upwards of 200 extra staff to manually process fines?
- Who will be held responsible for the disastrous handling of this project?
Victorians deserve from Daniel Andrews and his Attorney General answers and solutions.